Blood Orange Cake with Yogurt Whipped Cream (GF)
The past couples of days we've been in the thick of planning our Easter menu and I think this cake situation needs to make an appearance. I'm sure Robert will not mind having this twice in such a short period. It's hard to believe how early the holiday is this year, but nonetheless we're excited for another seasonal menu to collaborate on. Apart from recipes it's been a busy week on Better Happier. In case you missed it I shared a post on my new crush on Commodity Goods earlier this week, and some Miami travel snapshots.
If you're craving a cake that's not too sweet, has some beautiful and delicious blood oranges, and requires a good cup of coffee or tea by it's side, say hello. I'm excited to be sharing this beauty, my first real stab at intentionally gluten-free dessert. Blood oranges, with the rinds left in tact give a bright citrus flavor to not-too-sweet cake. The greek yogurt whipped cream is super, well creamy, tangy and pairs perfectly with the cake.
Blood Orange Cake
gluten-free | 12 servings
1/3 cup almond flour
1⁄3 cup coarsely ground yellow cornmeal
2/3 cup gluten-free flour
(preferably Bob's Redmill GF 1-1 flour or an equivalent 1-1 flour)
1/2 cup sugar
1 tbsp. baking powder
1⁄2 tsp. kosher salt
2 blood oranges, divided (see below)
zest from 1 blood orange
1/4 cup blood orange juice
2⁄3 cup full-fat Greek yogurt
1⁄3 cup +1 tbs olive oil
1 blood orange, very thinly sliced
1/2 tablespoon raw sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°
- In a large mixing bowl combine almond flour, cornmeal, gluten free flour, sugar, baking powder and kosher salt.
- Zest and juice one blood orange and set aside.
- Using a stand or hand mixer on medium speed, combine the greek yogurt with blood orange juice, blood orange zest, olive oil and egg. Continue to mix on medium speed until completely smooth.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet, and switch mixer to a low setting. Mix on low until completely smooth, scraping the sides of the bowl as you go.
- Pour the batter into a greased 11.5x8 in" tart pan.
- Top with blood orange slices and evenly sprinkle raw sugar over top.
- Bake for 45 minutes, until edges are golden brown and the cake has cooked through.
- Cool before serving, slice and top with yogurt whipped cream.
Yogurt Whipped Cream
1 cup heavy cream, chilled
1/2 cup plain full fat greek yogurt
- Using a stand or hand mixer, beat the heavy cream with greek yogurt until soft peaks form. Serve immediately. *Will keep for additional 1-2 days refrigerated