Brown Butter Pork Chops, with Sweet Potato Brussels Sprouts Hash and Roasted Peppers
With March coming to a close, and Easter somehow already done and passed we're well into planning new springtime recipes. In case you missed it, our spring brunch post has all sorts of seasonal menu inspiration if you're planning a get together anytime soon.
These brown butter pork chops would be amazing just on there own, but piled on top of sweet potato and brussels sprouts hash with roasted peppers? It's a game changer. This was a recent Sunday dinner, one that I've been craving ever since.
Funnily enough, the meal inspiration started with the peppers. Robert found mini sweet peppers and was itching to use them for a dinner, I was craving pork chops and the rest figured itself out along the way. The sweet potatoes in the hash are a nice balance for the pork, making it a pretty luxurious meal all around, and one certainly worth sharing a couple glasses of wine over.
Brown Butter Pork Chops
with Sweet Potato Brussels Sprouts Hash and Roasted Peppers
2 bone-in pork chops
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
1/2 lb miniature sweet peppers, or 1 large sweet pepper
1 lb brussel sprouts, shredded
1 shallot, minced
4 tbs olive oil, divided
1 tbs butter
1 tsp cumin
salt and pepper
- Remove pork chops from refrigerator and season generously with salt and pepper. Let sit and warm to room temperature.
- Over an open flame or on a grill over high heat, grill sweet peppers until charred. Remove from heat and transfer to a small mixing bowl. Toss with 1 tbs olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Set aside to cool.
- Bring 4 cups water to a boil in a medium sized pot. Add sweet potatoes and par-cook until slightly soft, about 5 minutes. Drain sweet potatoes and set aside.
- Warm 1 tbs olive oil in a medium skillet over high heat, and add sweet potatoes. Season with cumin, salt and pepper. Cook until browned, tossing occasionally - about 6 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside. In the same skillet, heat additional 1 tbs olive oil over medium high heat until shimmering.
- Add Brussel sprouts and shallots, stirring frequently until wilted, about 3 minutes. Add sweet potato and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Heat 1 tbs butter in a cast iron skillet over medium high heat, until butter is melted and bubbling. Add pork chops and cook, undisturbed for 2 minutes. Flip chops and continue cooking for an additional 2 minutes. Flip again and using a large spoon, baste butter in skillet over top of pork chops. Continue flipping and basting chops, for 2 minutes at a time until an instant read thermometer reads 140° when inserted into the thickest part of the meat. Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes.
- To serve, divide brussels and sweet potato hash between two plats and top with pork chops. Scatter peppers on plate.